Here's how you can make Chicken Rogan Josh at home.
5 Tablespoons ground nut oil or ghee (Indian clarified butter)
3-5 cloves garlic
2 heaped teaspoons cumin seeds / ground cumin if you can't find
1 inch root ginger, finely chopped/grated. shopping list
4-6 fresh chillies, finely chopped (depends on taste)
300-500g chicken breast - or lamb - whatever, cut into strips
2 teaspoons of garam masala. (will add recipe later)
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons of medium/mild/hot curry powder (depends on taste)
2 large onions, finely chopped
1/2 tin tomatoes - chopped
1 -2 tablespoon of tomato puree
1 large/beef tomato - sliced
Chapatis (Indian/traditional bread to eat with) [will add recipe later]
2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves
Dash of lemon or lime juice
2 large tablespoons of Greek natural yoghurt or creme fresh
2 tablespoons of sweet chilli dip-in sauce
- Heat 2 tablespoons of nut oil in the wok, fry garlic for 1 min.
- Add cumin, fry further 1 min.
- Add chopped ginger, fry further 1 min.
- Add chillies. Fry 1 min.
- Add chicken, and stir fry for minimum 5 mins.
- Remove chicken with slotted spoon and put to one side, leaving the oil etc in the wok.
- Add rest of oil & spices & fry for 1 min.
- Add chopped onions. Add more oil if required. Stir for 10 mins on low heat. Add water if you feel it is drying out.
- Add half tin tomato.
- Add tomato puree.
- Add most of coriander leaves (leave some to serve as garnish). Mix well.
- Add Sweet Chilli dip-in sauce to taste (Optional)
- Add large tomato slices, cook for 5 mins.
Serve - with rice or chapatis, or both. garnish with some coriander leaves. Quick squirt of lemon or lime juice.