A traditional coconut sweet which is a popular favorite.
Cooking Time : 15 mins.
Preparation Time :30 mins.
Serves/Makes : Makes 15 pieces.
2 cups grated fresh coconut
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
a few saffron strands
1 teaspoon milk
1/4 teaspoon cardamom (elaichi) powder
2 teaspoons ghee
For the garnish
5 Almond, blanched, peeled and cut into slices
1. Warm the milk in a small bowl, add the saffron and rub in until the saffron dissolves.
2. Dissolve the sugar with 1 cup of water and bring it to a boil. Add the lemon juice.
3. Remove the floating dirt using a slotted spoon and strain the syrup if necessary.
4. Boil the syrup again until it is of 2 string consistency.
5. Add the coconut, ghee, prepared saffron and cardamom powder. Remove from the fire while stirring continuously.
6. Spread the mixture on a thali (flat metal plate) and allow to cool.
7. Decorate with the pistachios. Cut into desired shape.